The Nest

• December 4SLHS Fine Arts Production of Cinderella Nov. 5th-12th

• November 30February 10th ACT Deadline January 12th

• November 30Christmas on Main Parade December 1st

Study Hacks

Presley Morgan and Caitlin Barton

We all know that studying can be a drag. As being a student myself, I can personally say that it’s not only inconvenient to your evenings, but it isn’t enjoyable at all. However, it is essential in the grand scheme of things. While we can’t really change the ‘boring’ aspect of studying, we can help make it more manageable with these useful hacks.

Presley Morgan

1. Get Flash-Card Friendly

Flash-cards are a great way to memorize terms, dates, events, people, etc. on a time-crunch. Use a different color for each side (question/answer, term/definition, so on) so you can visually organize each of the terms into your memory. I (Caitlin) use this method a lot, and I’ve found that it’s most helpful in allowing me to retain the most information as quickly as possible (without cramming).

Presley Morgan

1. Keep a Planner

Planners are vital to staying on top of your game. If you’re a rather forgetful person, or you like to    be organized, this is an essential tool to keeping up with your busy schedule. As soon as you hear about a test, meeting, event or practice, you can jot down the date and time in your planner so you’ll never miss a beat.  However, planners can be pricy (mine was $23 and it’s just a little bigger than my hand—total rip-off). Make sure that you are wise when purchasing a planner and look online for the best deal… as I should have done.

1. Chewing Gum

Mint/peppermint gum has been scientifically proven to stimulate your ability to focus. This enhancement to your studying is not only enjoyable, but it’s useful! So get to chomping and studying.

Presley Morgan

1. Color It Up

Color-coding your notes can be super helpful in memorizing the most significant parts of each chapter you’re learning. For example, if you write your details in black, terms, dates, places, and people in red, highlight your titles of each new section in yellow, it’s much easier to weed through your notes and find the most important material quickly or look up something in your notes more easily.

1. Listen to Classical Music
    Listening to classical music has been proven to stimulate productive abilities and organizational skills. It also has the ability to bring your mood from dull to joyous, due to the serotonin (a neurotransmitter) level in your brain that is heightened through nerve impulses that become more active by the rhythm of the classical music (classicalforums.com). This is a great way to lighten your mood when you’re vigorously attempting to cram an entire page of information into your brain.

1. Don’t Cram Study

Obviously, it’s hard to balance school, sports, friends, and activities. However, school isn’t going to get any easier if you cram-study. Not only is it going to be nearly impossible to remember three pages full of information the night before your exam, but it will stress you out a lot more than simply taking the time to break the information in chunks and memorize/study a little bit everyday leading up to the exam. It’s all about prioritizing; if you know you have a test coming up in a few days, don’t wait until the last minute to prepare for it. That’s not even necessarily preparing—that’s just bad decisions! Take about 15 minutes a day to look over the information so you aren’t so stressed, and you still have time for all of your activities.

1. Take Study Breaks

A method I (Presley) personally use is that I study/work for 25 minutes, and then take a break for 5. I repeat this until I am done with whatever task I’m working on. This not only inspires you to work more efficiently, knowing you’ll get a break soon, but it also helps your brain to relax and not become too over-worked. Be careful, though—sometimes a 5 minute break can ‘accidentally’ turn into a 20 minute break… Don’t let that become a habit; make wise choices, and get the dull work done as fast as you can so that you have more time for what you want to do.

If you have a ‘study hack’ of your own that works good for you and that you would recommend, leave it in the comments below for others to use! We hope you found a few of these as helpful. As always, happy hacking!

Cite edit:

www.fastweb.com   www.classicalforums.com