The Nest

• December 4SLHS Fine Arts Production of Cinderella Nov. 5th-12th

• November 30February 10th ACT Deadline January 12th

• November 30Christmas on Main Parade December 1st

South Students Take On American Idol

Presley, Fine Arts Editor/ Staff Writer

Photo by: Skyler Arterburn

On the morning of August 30th, three ambitious South students traveled to Louisville, KY for a chance to be featured on the returning entertainment show, “American Idol.” With the audition line opening at 6AM, Victoria (Tori) Sizemore, Brian Lewis, and Presley Morgan made sure to arrive as early as possible to get a secured spot in line. “I auditioned for ‘The Voice’ earlier this year,” Morgan mentioned, “and the audition line literally wrapped around nearly four blocks or so… Therefore, my mom and I made sure to come super early to [the American Idol] auditions so we would be toward the front of the line.” The three participants waited in line nearly four hours before getting to sing for a producer of the show.

Sizemore decided to go with a pop-selection, singing “If I Ain’t Got You” by Alicia Keys, and “Gravity” by Sara Barellis. When asked how she prepared for her audition, Tori stated that she “…just practiced and practiced [my] songs by myself and in front of other people… I was on the audition page a whole lot double-checking the rules and requirements.” She claimed to have a good experience, as she enjoyed witnessing how the audition process functions, and loved seeing how the producers acted.

Lewis, preferring a more blues-y style of music, selected the songs “A House is Not a Home” by Luther Vandross, and “Believe” by Cher. To prepare for his audition, Brian participated in a ‘mock’ audition hosted by his choir, where he was asked questions about himself and performed his pieces. “I vigorously rehearsed my songs nearly every day after school with our school music director, Mr.Felts, making sure I had the words and music down pat.” Lewis confessed that he was very exposed to the audition process, seeing that it wasn’t exactly what he had pictured it to be like. “You were moved from line to line to line, and stood in line for hours… it was interesting to see how everything progressed.”

As for Morgan, she performed her favorite style of music, R&B, singing “Who’s Loving You” by Smoky Robinson—in the style of Jackson Five—and “Mercy” by Duffy. Like Brian and Tori, Presley prepared for her audition by staying after school to work with Mr.Felts as well as performing in a mock-audition in front of her choir class. “My first song choice, I had known since 8th grade, so I just shaped it up. My second song choice, however, I had just learned it this month! So I had to make sure that it was good-to-go,” mentioned Presley. “I was a little nervous, as always, but I was so excited to be auditioning for American Idol.” Morgan stated that she and her mother, Tonya, got up at 5:30AM to get ready and head to the audition line. “I was tired to say the least… but it was an awesome experience. Of course, I made some friends in line… I’m too chatty to stand in line for four hours and not talk to anyone.”

Although none of the contestants made it through, they did have some advice to share for anyone wanting to audition for an entertainment show. Tori suggested, “Just do it— it’s worth it. Although a lot of shows like [American Idol] are looking for someone with a rather dramatic back story, just be yourself and go for it.” When Brian was asked, he advised “Go for it! You never know what’s going to happen. They could say yes, they could say no, but you’ll never know unless you try.” Presley gave the advice of “If you get the opportunity, don’t waste it. It’s better to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all. Even if you don’t make it, it’s still better than never knowing if you would’ve made it or not. Don’t be afraid of failing!”

All in all, the South students came back more experienced and knowledgeable. Although this was just one audition, it’s anticipated that this won’t be the last that Laurel County sees of these three musicians.

1 Comment

One Response to “South Students Take On American Idol”

1. Tonya Poindexter Vaughn on September 15th, 2017 1:08 pm

This was a great article! Congrats to you all for pursuing your dreams. The only way you’ll fail, is to quit. Keep on loving forward. Take chances! You three are wonderful singers and I am blessed to be the Mom of one of you.

I love the new online SLHS Newspaper. Keep it going!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• South Students Take On American Idol

Arts and Entertainment

Why Do I Do It?: Art

• South Students Take On American Idol

Arts and Entertainment

The Nest at the Fest

• South Students Take On American Idol

Arts and Entertainment

South Laurel High School Boasts Talent in the Arts

• South Students Take On American Idol

Arts and Entertainment

Top 10 Christmas Movies

• South Students Take On American Idol

Arts and Entertainment

Review of the Week: Havana Café

• South Students Take On American Idol

Arts and Entertainment

South Laurel Marching Band Named Reserved Grand Champion

• South Students Take On American Idol

Arts and Entertainment

By the Book

• Arts and Entertainment

TOP TEN: Songs from the Past Decade

• South Students Take On American Idol

Arts and Entertainment

• South Students Take On American Idol

Features

Study Hacks

The Student News Site of South Laurel High School
South Students Take On American Idol